Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I'm out of words today...

So I borrowed a few from other writers. Enjoy!

-------------------

The free-lance writer is a man who is paid per piece or per word or perhaps. - Robert Benchley

The works of the great masters are like wine. But everyone drinks water. – Mark Twain

We are all apprentices in a craft in which no one ever becomes a master. – Ernest Hemingway

There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. ~Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you. ~Ray Bradbury

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. ~E.L. Doctorow

Easy reading is damn hard writing. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster. ~Isaac Asimov

Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum. ~Graycie Harmon

If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Writers are not just people who sit down and write. They hazard themselves. Every time you compose a book your composition of yourself is at stake. ~E.L. Doctorow

Authors and lovers always suffer some infatuation, from which only absence can set them free. ~Samuel Johnson

It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don't give a damn what you say, they're going to write. ~Sinclair Lewis

Writing is utter solitude, the descent into the cold abyss of oneself. ~Franz Kafka

The most beautiful things are those that madness prompts and reason writes. ~André Gide, Journals, 1894

Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand. ~George Orwell

I want to write books that unlock the traffic jam in everybody's head. ~John Updike

4 comments:

Marta Stephens said...

I LOVE these!! As I read, I kept thinking I found a favorite quote, and then I read another. :)

These are worth printing and posting next to my computer to remind me I'm not the only person suffering from the insatiable desire to write.

Karen Harrington said...

I agree with Marta. Who here knows how to embroider? I need these on some pillows. :)

Karen

Marta Stephens said...

Karen, if you want to see madness in action, check out the April 13 post here in MB4, "Message from Gus LeGarde" and the comments the other characters posted. ;)

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

SW - these are priceless! I'm going to print them out and post them nearby, too. As did Marta, I kept finding one that seemed to trump the others. I loved them all, though, and thank you for introducing me to them. ;o)