Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mama-isms

Recently my sister and I were talking about Mama-isms and how someone should come up with a whole book of them. (Maybe someone has, we just don't know about it). It got me to thinking about these catch-phrases and how popular(and cliched!) they are.

Here for your entertainment are a short list of some I remember.

"Eat a good breakfast, it helps you start the day."
"Nice girls don't show their bosums."
"What if your eyes stayed crossed?"(when I would cross my eyes and stick out my tongue)
"Look both ways before crossing the street."
"If you stretch your arms over your head while pregnant, the cord will wrap around the baby's neck."
"Put on clean underwear before taking a trip. What if you were in an accident and they had to cut your clothes off? You'd be in dirty drawers!"

oh, and there are a ton more. Come up with your own list and post them here.

2 comments:

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Here are some dadisms, too.

"Moderation in all things."
"Chew your meat forty times."
"The early bird gets the worm."

and so many more. Thanks, Kim!

Marta Stephens said...

Ha! Funny you should ask. My lovely 22-year-old daughter gave me a book for Valentine's Day titled,"Momisms" by Cathy Hamilton (What she says/what she really means).

Example: "Look it up in the dictionary!" (This ism is used to foster educational self-sufficiency, resourcefulness, and initiative.) What mom really means:"Are you kidding? I have no idea how to spell prestidigitation and I'm too damned old to learn!"

There's a one of these little books for dads too! :)