Thursday, October 3, 2013

Book signings, reviews etc.

Kim Smith at the Bartlett Festival, Bartlett TN, September 28, 2013


I still haven't quite gotten the hang of book signings. I have had exactly two-since 2008. Yeah, I am not a good horn-tooter, am I? But there are a few things I learned from the two I have had. Here goes:

1. Bring a pen-this sounds crazy, but you'd be amazed at how many people forget this one little but very important item. Let me revise this, bring SEVERAL pens. Bring different colors, etc. If you are able go to Vistaprint and have promo ones made up and give them away. People might stay a little longer at your table browsing your books if you give them things to play with, look at, and take away.

2. Bring candy. Oh man. I cannot stress this one enough. And if you are creative like I am, bring coffee-flavored ones and tell the guests that you wanted to help out the shoppers who missed their morning cup. That always brings a laugh.

3. Bring a friend. I reckon everyone does this mostly out of moral support. But I have found that it is a great thing to have someone at that table with your books even when you can't be. Like when you have to get a bite to eat. Or go to the restroom. Yeah, you'd miss a sale for sure if you didn't have a friend there.

Well, that's the most important on my list. I'll try to think of more. Until then, go out and Murder them with your creativity.

No comments: