Thursday, November 10, 2011

The old and the new

*tapping mic* hello? Is this thing on?

Hello, my name is Kim and I am a serial writer.

There, I've said it.

But some folks wanna know how on earth do you write a series and keep it fresh, and keep it going with elements that are familiar and something that readers want to come back to book after book.

Well, here is my take on it.

You have to do simple things like change the season, up the ante on the characters' personal trials, and throw in a little of the mundane. That is how to keep it familiar but different. Also, you have to add in a new "something" that they have to endure and work through to keep it fresh. Murder is ever changing, right? Who's next on your list of victims?

While you keep the cohesive side of the series going you have to keep the quirky in your character, and add zip to the life of the character. But really, adding jeopardy to their life is what really keeps the pages turning.

Now, on to my personal note.

If you are a Shannon Wallace fan, you have a new book to look forward to. I just got the cover art final and wanted to share. Looks like next May will be the target date, but you should definitely go out to Red Rose Publishing and look me up. And while I am tooting my own horn, if you didn't know this, all my books are either in print and ebook form, or will be very soon.
Book three
Hope you will stay with me on this serial journey. I am trying hard to keep it fresh for you.

1 comment:

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Fantastic, Kim! Love that new cover and can't wait to get my hands on the new Shannon Wallace book!