Thursday, April 5, 2012

It's an apostrophe

Yes, this is a mystery writers blog. Yes, it has gotten notice from the WD folks and awarded 101 Best Sites for Writers nod for several years in a row. Yes, I am a multi-published author. But...I am having a very newbie, ignorant problem, and it is bothering me a LOT. Here is my dilemma: Once again, I have a character with an S at the end of his name. I hate it when I have this problem because I never know how to make it plural. The name is COLLINS. So do I say, the ball was Collins's- or do I say, the ball was Collins' ? I found this info online when I looked up a bit of help: "...there are variations that should be followed according to the whether the word is a personal name or plural nouns beginning with s. For a personal name that you would say the extra s aloud, it should look like this: Dickens's Charles's ...... Yet with personal names that are not spoken with the extra s the apostrophe is located at the end of the word: Connors' Bridges' So- this sort of helps me, I guess? I am thinking that it is Collins' ball- but still doesn't make me happy. If I say it out loud with my terrible southern accent, it sounds right, but hey, I am a SOUTHERNER. We make up words. If anyone else is having this trouble and can shine a little light, let me know. Happy Thursday, Murderers.

2 comments:

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Hi, Kim. I'm out of town and just now getting connected online - I wanted to tell you I've been through this apostrophe journey, too. Drove me crazy. Some editors prefer it one way and some the other. The research I did said it was acceptable either way, but might seem less awkward when you cut off that final s and just say, "Cyrus' car" instead of "Cyrus's car." I think you should go with whatever feels good to you! Best of luck and have a Happy Easter weekend. ;o)

Kim Smith said...

Thanks, Aaron, I am going with my gut. I just gotta quit using characters with "s" on the end of their last names!