Thursday, September 23, 2010

What inspires you?

image courtesy of VideoVision Entertainment

This morning when I got out, the cool air caught me by surprise, and all I wanted to do was grab a comfy chair and write. The problem is my laptop died last weekend and so now writing will have to be done the old fashioned way. Not that that is a bad thing, and if I'd had time, I would have done just that.

Fall mornings with its crispness, and beauty always inspires me to write. (Proof positive : check out this post from 2008! WRITING PROMPTS ) Don't know if it is the old feeling of going back to school from childhood or what, but I can write like the wind in the glorious days of September and October.

Other things that inspire me to write are good questions. You know the ones I mean, the ones like, do writers write because they have to or do writers write because they have no life? I heard something on television last night that sent me off on a "Oh, I wish I had my laptop" moment.

Television shows are great fodder for inspiration. Especially ones with good what ifs. We, as writers, can always turn a what if into a whole story, and the good thing is, if we all took the same what if we would all have a different outcome.

Isn't being a writer great?

So, what inspires you to write? Where do you get those aha moments from?

6 comments:

C. N. Nevets said...

I can't seem to write this out eloquently this morning,so here it is in list form. Ugh, I hate that. lol

1) Fall weather
2) Human nature
3) Human personality
4) Philosophical questions
5) The will o' the wisps

Marta Stephens said...

Mine come seeing the irony in situations. I love to consider an encounter or event and try to see how many ways I can twist it into a new plot. :)

s.w. vaughn said...

Tons of things inspire me. Sometimes it's just as simple as being alive and human and blessed with the ability to communicate. That just blows my mind.

I'll admit that often, nasty people inspire me. I start to wonder why anyone would do X bad thing(s), whether it's world-class douchebaggery or violent murder, and come up with reasons - that's why I redeem so many "bad" guys in my writing. I want there to be a reason for evil, and a chance to make everything better.

Also, kittens. Kittens are inspiring. *G*

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

I'm hugely inspired by... places. I don't know why, probably because I love the outdoors so much. But whenever I'm in a new place - like on a mountaintop in the Adirondacks, or sweltering in a riverside cafe in Thailand... these places BEG to be incorporated in my stories. I see my characters racing around, chasing bad guys, soaking in the local culture or beauty... and ideas just start popping in my head. Also, truly good stories (movies or books) inspire the hell outta me. When I'm moved to the point that a story haunts me for days, I know I want to write something that GOOD. Know what I mean?

Dawn Anon said...

laying in a comfy place on my belly....

nice weather... spring, summer, or fall...

someone else's good writing get my wheels turning..

and i'm with SW vaughn... nasty people make me imagine all kinds of things.

i just wish i could get a little more inspired than i do.

Sandra said...

Songs often inspire me as do writing challenges. The first of my short stories to be published was inspired by a challenge.

I will admit, I need to get much better at asking "What if?"

Sandra