Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year Features: Day 4





Murderby4 has been surging toward new heights since its inception in 2008. This year was momentous for 
our website, when we earned our Writer's Digest Best 101 Writing Website award, and welcomed a myriad of fine guest bloggers to join us over the year. (a little bird just told me that we've earned the same award for 2010!)

Of course we realize it's the collective participation of our fine writers  and readers that has helped us reach this coveted pinnacle. So recently, we asked them to send us their reflections on 2009 or resolutions for 2010. 

Following are the contributions of three wonderful writers. Below I've appended my own thoughts after those of Noelle Sterne, Lani Massey Brown, and Ernie Johnson.

Read on, and take a nice, big, juicy bite of their words. Afterwards, feel free to search for their previous articles on MB4 if you missed them this year.

- Aaron Paul Lazar
cofounder of MB4





WRITING 2010  
by
Noelle Sterne

In 2010, for writing I have no hope. Instead, I choose to expect. Expectation fuels my motivation, invigorates my dreams, and undergirds my persistent need to express in words. 
            I choose to settle only for higher writing quality, finer pursuit of the perfect word. 
I choose to capture ever more essence, so readers see, feel, and experience through me. 
I choose to allow more—deserving, time, devotion, focus, fearlessness, joy in writing. Nothing stops me but my censoring imagination and projections of others’ judgments.
I choose to swim out to the bigger waves, courageous markets. 
I choose to visualize my writing goals done, from bestsellers to repair of today’s awkward phrase. 
I choose to hold and renew this vision, to trust the process unfolding.
I choose to feel and breathe the emotions of success, in all its guises.
In 2010, I choose to expect it all.


Noelle Sterne






Lani Massey Brown



Savor life’s serendipities. What’s it take to be a writer? Imagination. Conviction. TIME. 
So when did you last grab an hour of uninterrupted time for yourself? First a month, then a year flits by with nary a sequel in sight. One “easy” chapter followed by another slips to the bottom of the heap while life sidetracks our dreams. The very things we want to do, feel compelled to do for ourselves, we cannot do because there simply isn’t time. 
Jobs, families, obligations join forces to jolt us back to reality just when a plot heats up. As this decade closes, perhaps I should resolve to carve out more time for myself. (Wait. . . my husband’s calling. “Wanna go sailing?” he asks.) 
More time for myself? Nah. But I do resolve to enjoy the interruptions more. Serendipity to all life’s treasures that muddle our dreams, particularly the two legged kind.
Lani Massey Brown





 Ernie Johnson




Like many authors, 2009 has had it's ups and downs for me. Early in 2009, the BOOKHOUSE was formed on behalf of authors in just about every genre. Now, as the year comes to a close we have just shy of 200 authors who have one more outlet to promote their books. As of this posting, there have been over 20,000 hits on the site and yes, sales have been made. 


This year my second book in the series ANGEL OF MERCY - Destiny of the Divas Part II is being released Dec 8th. Though a novelist in part, this past year has been a change of writing venue, for me, as I now concentrate my writing efforts as a screenwriter. A new love in my life is both a supporter of my writing in all venues, and is a blessing in my life. Look out 2010!


Ernie Johnson












In 2009, my daughter Jenn surged toward death in the course of 24 hours. Toxic shock syndrome caused an antibiotic-resistant bacteria to rage through her blood. Thanks to a dedicated medical team, she recovered after a week. Later, her attending revealed if I’d brought her to the ER one hour later, she likely wouldn’t have made it. The realization was staggering, and put life into clear perspective, once again. 

Remember: As strong as our miraculous bodies are, life is indeed tenuous. Don’t assume your children will bury you. And although this sounds cliché, be damned sure to appreciate each day as if it’s their last. 

Trauma can breed heightened awareness and lust for life. The key is to integrate this renewed passion into your writing. Be sure your characters live, breathe, and feel as deeply as you do, and they’ll leap from the pages to linger in your readers’ hearts forever.

Aaron Paul Lazar


http://www.legardemysteries.com
http://www.mooremysteries.com
http://aplazar.gather.com






4 comments:

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Noelle, Lani, and Ernie - welcome back to MB4 and Happy New Year!

s.w. vaughn said...

Wonderful words, all of you! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

Aaron, I am so relieved that Jenn was able to beat that awful illness. You're so right - nothing should be taken for granted.

Kim Smith said...

Thank you all for being a part of the Mb4 family. Aaron, I, too, am glad that everything turned out okay for your daughter and the family over the last while. Here's to a prosperous and safe New Year!

Sheila Deeth said...

Fascinating post, and I'm so glad your daughter made it Aaron. Kind of puts "new resolutions" into perspective though.