Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year Features: Day 1

© Marta Stephens 2009 all rights reserved

As 2009 comes to an end, we all look forward to the promise of a fresh begining the new year will hold. We've asked all the guests featured on Murder By 4 during 2009 to please share their thoughts about the past twelve months and/or their hopes for 2010. 




J. D. Webb, author of SHEPERDS PIE


My seventh full year (2009) of being an author was wonderful. The older I get the faster they fly by. Since I have another book and a story in an anthology out next year I’m hoping to slowly savor 2010. Each new novel when born is a treasured baby. My heart races at the prospect of holding another ‘little one’ in my hands. I want to finish my work-in-progress next year and enjoy the fun.

I don’t make resolutions but I do have wishes for the New Year; continued blessings from God, good health, the same for my family and friends, and a kinder economic climate. I’d like the USA to return to being the land of opportunity for all.

To all my Internet friends I wish these things for you as well.


Beth Groundwater, author of TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET

2009 was a year of author promotion for me, with two releases, the second in my Claire Hanover gift basket designer mystery series, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET, in May and my science fiction thriller novella, THE EPSILON ERIDANI ALTERNATIVE, in December.


I toured in person and virtually, attended and spoke at conferences, blogged, and more. I'm looking forward to focusing on the writing and editing side of being a mystery author in 2010, working on the two books in my new Mandy Tanner river ranger mystery series for Midnight Ink, beginning with WICKED WHITEWATER which is due out in early 2011. Pounding out words on the computer keyboard in my basement office is where it all began. Sitting my butt in the chair and recording the arguments of characters interacting in my head is why I love this career!



Kent Anderson, autohr of JOHNNY DENOVO MYSTERIES
In 2009, I published two novels -- my first two Johnny Denovo Mysteries, but certainly not my last. Breaking through with the first novel was a major accomplishment, and the reviews were beyond my wildest dreams.


For me, 2009 proved that not only can I write a novel people like, but I can also publish an impressive novel -- and I was able to do it twice! It also proved to me that tremendous support and talent reside around books, not just in them. Readers, reviewers, and bloggers all made it a superb year to be a writer, even in a down economy. Thanks to MB4 and others for a great year! I'm looking forward to 2010, another novel, and more great exchanges with insightful readers and talented authors.

 
  

Marta Stephens, author of the SAM HARPER CRIME MYSTERIES series

Since THE DEVIL CAN WAIT was released in November of 2008, 2009 was a year of book promotion, blogging, and getting to work on the next book. I was thrilled to learn that "The Devil" won the bronze medal in the 2009 Independent Publishers Book Award (IPPY) in May. However, I was deeply disappointed to learn that my publisher was about to leave the company (BeWrite Books). Sometimes it's these setbacks in life that make us pick ourselves up from the seat of the pants and get moving in a new direction and out of our comfort zone. On the upside of things, I started to write a book I'd had in my head for several years which felt wonderful. Cait and I have remained close friends and we had the wonderful opportunity to meet this past October.


I'm truly looking forward to 2010. Already it's getting off to a great start. E-books of both Sam Harper novels are now available through Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/MartaStephens, the edits in my current novel, SHROUD OF LIES, are going great, and last night, drum roll paleez-z-z-z-z-e! We found out that Murder By 4 made it into the Writer's Digest 2010 Year Book!  Thank you all so much for your support and for making MB4 a great site!

Best wishes to our readers and guests and on to having a wonderful and prosperous New Year!







9 comments:

J D Webb said...

Congrats on the WD honor. Well deserved. Hope my mug shot on the first day doesn't hurt your chances for another honor in 2010. Wishing you a year full of blessings.

Marta Stephens said...

LOL Aw, JD, consider yourself part of the family! You, you're followers, and all the others who follow and contribute to Murder By 4 have made this site what it is--great.

Call me crazy, but I have big hopes for 2010! ;)

Lea Schizas - Author/Editor said...

Ah, Dave, I see you and I have the same resolutions. And your mugshot is cuuuttteeee!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you all for your success in 2009. I hope you see more in 2010.

I plan for 2010 to be the year I can look back and say I broke into the publishing market.

Have a great year!

J D Webb said...

Thanks, Lea. I haven't been called cute in over 40 years. 'Cept by my wife.

J D Webb said...

Marta, you're the best. And I'm humbled to be part of the family.

s.w. vaughn said...

Thanks to all you guys for sharing your reflections and resolutions. It's great to see the growth of good writers!

And I can't believe it's 2010 already (thought it would never get here!!)

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Thanks, everyone, for your insightful perspectives into the new year. Let's pray we all prosper and write like the wind!

edwardcullen said...

looking for the louis vuitton handbags then visit now ohmyhandbags.us.com