So if the matter is not, are writers blogging, but rather, what are writers blogging, then let's look at that.
In my opinion, writers always have a lot to say about blogging. Here is a short list:
1. Writers write about writing
2. Writers write about their stories, books, poems, etc.
3. Writers write about what jazzes them (might be political, religious, etc.)
4. Writers write about books they are reading
5. Writers write about the places they travel to
I think that reading a writer's blog is the most fun of my entire day. (I am the WRITER GROUPIE, remember?) The reason? I always learn something from a writer's blog.
The thing is, so many writers use their blog to allow readers into their world. They blog like it is a big electronic diary. That's great, but sometimes, we do not want to know what you had for dinner and how many times your dog tried to bite the UPS guy.
Sometimes your readers WANT GOOD STUFF!!
Yes, we are selfish. We want food for our own life. Sorry, writers.
So here is a short list of some good food for writers to use on their blog to feed their readers.
1. When writing about craft, give us good titles. Sometimes we think we are getting one sort of post but end up getting another and if we are not writers-well, we usually hit the exit rather quickly.
2. Posts about your books need to be given warnings beforehand. Let us know in advance that you are going to be posting up the buy links, excerpts, etc. before you actually post them. Some of us want to BUY that book and so we don't want to miss any SALES!
3. Finally, if you are a writer, but you only have reviews of books, interviews with writers, and info about book blog tours for other writers, we may never find out the thing you want us to know--info about YOUR WORK. So mix it up. Give us a whole week once in a while of stuff about YOU instead of somebody else. (I do not follow book bloggers but I do visit them occasionally, so that should tell you something)
In conclusion, i.e. getting off my soapbox, I hope you will check out some exciting things coming to my blog in the near future...including some sort book tour stuff I am involved in. Fun June ahead!