Thursday, April 28, 2011

After the storm...


Hope you all are well. After three days of battling terrible storms and horrifying damages, I am happy to report me and mine are safe. Not so lucky is Alabama, and I hope you are not there. I am thinking about you if you are.

So allow me this opportunity to use the storm as an analogy.

What do we do when we have been buffeted by the winds of change in the publishing world, experienced the devastation of rejection, and find ourselves standing in the midst of the aftermath of the storm that is the writing life.

What do we do?

We could throw up our hands and say it is impossible to fix this mess. We could say it is done and over and we are ruined. We can likewise choose a more positive route and say I will rise from these ashes.

It has been my experience to get up again. I refuse to let the storm keep me down. I will still get up and go forward. There are more opportunities down the road. There is a shelter somewhere I will find and stay in for a while. I choose to keep fighting.

I hope you do too! There is a sunrise coming. There is a great bright sunny future ahead of you. Just keep writing. Keep sending out your work. It only takes one yes to find yourself in a whole new place. Don't let change and other's opinions dictate where you go with your work. Let your writing shine.

4 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

This post should be read by every writer at any stage. I couldn't have said it better.

Harvee said...

I heard terrific winds here in Ohio and woke up to hear about the damage and death in the south. Kind of a wake up call.

Book Dilettante

Anonymous said...

A great analogy, Kim.

And if I might go just a bit further. It's wise to remember that our efforts, whether destined for classic status, fleeting best-seller lists, or also-rans on someone's list, are but words on a page.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the storms.

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Kim, thanks for this. I always worry about you when I hear about tornadoes. So terribly scary. We had a tornado "watch" last night (very unusual for up here) and the high winds tore a roof off a local school last night. But I can't imagine living with that fear all the time.

I love your attitude! A perfect analogy - wonderful! Stay safe and keep writing. ;o)