Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What's It Feel Like To Type, "The End" ??

A burst of fireworks, that's what with a huge one of these "!" after it.
Yes, I finished my manuscript, SHROUD OF LIES on Monday. Ten months, one day, 49 chapters, 70,377 words, and lots of hair-pulling sessions later, I can actually say I AM FINISHED.


I’m sorry, was that a little too loud? Ha!

I wrote the last six chapters over the weekend and yes, those six will have to take their turn on the "time out" chair before I edit and polish them, but technically ... it's done and feels better than chocolate at the moment.


It's been so frustrating to know how I wanted this novel to end and yet not find the words to show it. To add to that frustration, I was beginning to think I was living in the movie "Groundhog Day." Every time I reached chapter 30 or so, another major change popped into my head. I jumped in to make the changes. How many out there have changed the identity of your killer seven chapters from the end? Let me tell you, it makes for some interesting edits. Invariably, it forced me to adjust every chapter from 15 on. This type of change happened at least three times that I can recall—a frustrating but equally gratifying process. Oh well, such is life and speaking of life, for those out there who don't write mysteries and wonder what twisted things go through the mind of one who does, check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHvBd8G6Jb8  Please note, not intended for readers with weak stomachs. ;)

While you’re watching that video, I’m going to start working on my pitch and writing some query letters. ;)

5 comments:

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

HUGE congratulations, Marta!! I know how incredibly hard you've worked on this manuscript, and I can't wait to find out what you've changed when I reread it!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Congratulations--always good when you're finished. Usually for me though it means now it's time to start over and do the rewrites.

Marilyn

Marta Stephens said...

Aaron, thanks so much for the fresh pair of eyes! I'm loving your suggestions.

I hear you, Marilyn! I've written it and have done all the edits I know to do at this point (can't read/see it any more). Now it's in the hands of a few willing readers. I'm loving the comments too. As I read them, I find myself saying, "Duh, of course! Why didn't I think of that?"

Many thans for stopping by.

s.w. vaughn said...

LOL I've done the Groundhog Day thing sooo many times. CONGRATS on reaching THE END - it's the best feeling in the world!!

Terry W. Ervin II said...

Great to learn that you've finished it! Sorry about the delay in commenting, but I've been busy trying to fit in writing myself--thus, neglecting some of my blog rounds.

Way to go and best of luck with your letters!