Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy Birthday America



I think sometimes this holiday is busier than Christmas. I have hardly had time to think of a blog post for you guys this week!

So I will just post a quickie and wish you all a fabulous fourth of July and hope it is safe and filled with everything fun.

A Land Will…Shine Free

I think, what is America?
Explorers from where they came,
By morning and night,
To find a land not so tame.

I think, what is America?
Captains of rivers that cry,
I can not find the course,
No matter how hard I try.

I think, what is America?
Of soldiers that fought tooth and nail,
Whose blood that was left on the plain,
Who spirit will always set sail.

I think, what is America?
As I start a new day,
Birds and song greet a light,
And God shows us the way.

Maybe this is America,
The land that I seek,
Where love is king,
And the spirit never grows weak.

Maybe this is America,
The one I dream to be,
One nation shall go forth,
A land will…shine free.
By Phil Mitchell
Copyright 2005
http://www.philmitchell.org
Listed 5/02/2005

4 comments:

s.w. vaughn said...

What a great poem!

Happy birthday, America. Though I might bitch about you often, there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather belong to. :-)

Marta Stephens said...

I ditto that, SW. So, what's everyone doing on the 4th? We'll probably cook out (if it doesn't rain) and watch the fireworks from our front yard! Yay!

s.w. vaughn said...

My aunt and uncle, they of the big house and huge yard and awesome inground pool, have a 4th of July party every year. 100+ family members (some of them 'honorary' family, just because they hang around with us so much), lots of cookout fare, $900 worth of (slightly illegal but awesome) fireworks, and a big bonfire - which, by the time we get to that, everyone will be drunk enough to burn their underwear. Half of us wear old underwear to the party just for that event.

So yeah. That's where I'll be. Wouldn't miss it - never do. :-)

s.w. vaughn said...

Also, karaoke. Did I mention the karaoke? *G*