Tuesday, December 9, 2008

More Writing Quotes

I present to you a fairly random sample of quotes on writing, from my "vast" collection of, like, 20 quotes. :-)

-------------

The profession of book-writing makes horse racing seem like a solid, stable business. –John Steinbeck

If writers were good businessmen, they'd have too much sense to be writers. – Irvin S. Cobb

When I was a little boy, they called me a liar, but now that I am grown up, they call me a writer. – Isaac Bashevis Singer

A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction. – William Faulkner

Only a mediocre writer is always at his best. – W. Somerset Maugham

I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions. ~James Michener

Writing, I think, is not apart from living. Writing is a kind of double living. The writer experiences everything twice. Once in reality and once in that mirror which waits always before or behind. ~Catherine Drinker Bowen

A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other one. ~Baltasar Gracián

---------------

And the one that speaks to me most right now...

Writing is a struggle against silence. ~Carlos Fuentes

4 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

My mother called me her little storyteller when I was a kid because I made up the best stories between my siblings and me.

Thanks for the quotes, SW. I particularly like the 3rd one, but they all fit in my life.

What's so special about these quotes is they bring a world of writers into the comforting arms of one family.

Marta Stephens said...

I loved all of these, but can relate to the last one best. LOL

Kim Smith said...

I just wanna say that quotes keep me writing on some days. This is my fav..."Come on men, we didn't come all this way just to look at it!" from Pochahontas, John Smith

And it is so true! We don't go the whole journey writing, just to look at it sitting in our computers!

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Thanks, SW. And isn't that double life comment true? We all live in our parallel universes - loving, fighting, detecting, suffering, and delighting in the world's goodies... and thank God we do! Sometimes real life isn't as much fun, that's for sure. ;o)