Thursday, April 28, 2016

7 Motivations for Creatives

Don't you love the word, CREATIVES? It so expresses us.

But lately, my email box has been slam-full of notices from marketers trying to sell me their latest "here's how to get 10,000 followers" and "how to get 1,000 readers in a week" etc. all directed at me because I am a creator of artistic works.

So, instead, I am going to talk about how to get motivated when you are feeling less than you should...or sick. Yeah, I know this one well. I didn't do very much last week due to the crud. We really probably shouldn't do a lot when we are sick. But sometimes, when you just feel mindless, when you have no action in your day, then you need to address that.

Here's 7 ways to get motivated as creatives:


Stop the insanity!

It's okay to doubt ourselves. We ALL do this. Sometimes we are not a good judge of our work. But you cannot sit back and just determine you are no good at what you are doing. We are our worst enemy. Stop the negative internal dialogue! Get someone that you know and trust to read your work, look at your art, listen to your music. You cannot be the judge and jury on this.

Get some sleep!

Those health experts that tell you to get 8-10 hours of sleep a night are not experts for no reason. I would listen to them. The whole "I am not feeling it" that you are experiencing could be simply burnout. Turn off the phone, the tv, the stereo, the lights and GO TO SLEEP. I want you to try for 8 hours. Try it. See if you feel more productive.

Turn off your ears!

We all have those negative Nellies in our lives who constantly feel it is their duty in life to tell us how terrible we are at...writing, drawing, singing, cleaning, dressing, etc. Turn off those voices. Even if they do not inhabit a space in your life anymore you will continue to hear those voices. Stop. They do not control you. The art you are making is YOURS.

Get new inspiration!

The best I have ever felt was when my kids and I and my hubby went to the local museum of art to see the Dali exhibit. I felt so inspired, so uplifted seeing the sculpture, the paintings, etc. that I went home and wrote like the wind. You must get out of your comfort zone and find new exciting things to inspire you. Sometimes all it takes is a walk in the park!

Go on a walk!

I love to go to the local park and walk the trails. There is something about nature and all the sights, sounds, and smells that just motivates my writing. I can pen a setting for a book while seated on a rock or a stump that will resonate with others who have seen, heard, or smelled the sensory details I put down. Try going outside for a new twist on a tired mind.

Change tactics!

Sometimes our mental ability is limited due to the overwhelm of being a creative in a world of creatives. Sometimes you just have to switch tactics to beat the lack of inspiration or motivation to get the work out. I suggest this: if you are tired of formatting a book, try proof-reading for a while. If you are tired of the current story you are writing, try editing a different one. Turning on a different part of the brain helps break the block.

Give yourself permission to quit

This is a hard one for a lot of people, myself included. Sometimes we just need to stop. Our bodies and our minds will not go any further on the project and we are simply not being effective. Give yourself permission to quit. Try any of the above suggestions, or maybe all of them, and if you still cannot get the forward movement that you need, close the computer, and play a mindless video game. It's okay to have a "do-nothing" day.

Can you think of other things that a creative person might do to help with their mental melt-down? Leave a comment below!





2 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

"Can you think of other things that a creative person might do to help with their mental melt-down?"

Re-read positive reviews (at Goodreads, Amazon, review blogs, etc.) on published works, and/or positive comments from crit partners or beta readers.

Kim Smith said...

Good advice Terry!