Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Favorite Romances of All Time

Looking for a Good Recommendation?

By

Dora Machado



As I mentioned in my post last week, my favorite romance of all time is the historical fiction novel Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.  Okay, all right, I might be dating myself a little here, but I'm open to suggestions. If you've got a book or a series out there, in any genre, that matches the breadth and scope of Gabaldon's enduring love between Jamie and Claire, I want to know.

So, on the eve of Valentine's Day, even though I'm off traveling through Japan, I decided to reach out to some of my writer friends to ask for their best recommendations for an all-time favorite romance novel.

The favorite romance of MB4's own Aaron Lazar, mystery and romance author of The Seacrest is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.



Eleanor Kuhns, author of A Simple Murder, has two all-time favorite romances, both by Elswyth Thane: Dawn's Early Light and Tryst.



Christine Amsden, author of the award-winning Cassie Scott: Paranormal Detective and its sequel, Secret and Lies, absolutely loved Judith McNaught's Perfect.



Linda Au, novelist and humor author of Fork in the Road, says that her favorite romance "has to be the historical fiction Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It's a romance that's spanned decades in their lives. Now that's a romance."



I didn't put Linda up to this, folks, but I think she's got good taste in romances. J

Jerry Hatchet, thriller author of Seven Unholy Days, chose the romance between John Corey and Kate Mayfield in Nelson DeMille's series of Corey thrillers.



Stephanie Osborn, Interstellar Woman of Mystery and author of The Displaced Detective series, answered the question like this: "Do I have to pick just one? Seriously?"

LOL.


Thanks to all of my writer friends who contributed to this post. If you think you can add to this list, if you've got a romance to top all romances, share it with us. Come on. I dare you. 'Cause I've read a lot of excellent books since I read Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager and Drums of Autumn, but I haven't found a series that dealt with romance as spectacularly as those books did.


  


****

Dora Machado is the award-winning author of the epic fantasy Stonewiser series and her newest novel, The Curse Giver, available from Twilight Times Books. She grew up in the Dominican Republic, where she developed a fascination for writing and a taste for Merengue. After a lifetime of straddling such compelling but different worlds, fantasy is a natural fit to her stories. She lives in Florida with her husband and three very opinionated cats.

Dora also writes features for Murder By Four, an award winning blog for people interested in reading and writing, and Savvy Authors, where writers help writers.
  
To learn more about Dora Machado and her novels, visit her website at www.doramachado.com or contact her at Dora@doramachado.com.

For a free excerpt of The Curse Giver, visit  http://twilighttimesbooks.comthingsTheCurseGiver_ch1.html.






No comments: