© Marta Stephens 2009 all rights reserved
Ah, the “What if.” They may not vocalize it as such, but that's exactly what runs through every writer's mind when he or she sits down to write the next book. If you're coming short on the creative side of things, read through these writing prompts.
What if …
1. … your car breaks down along a desolate country road, your cell phone is out of service, and the sign at the gas station you past half an hour ago indicated the next city is 300 miles away.
2. … you wake up tomorrow, go to work/school/etc., and discover that no one knows you, you don’t exist.
3. … you live alone and find a pool of blood in your basement.
4. … you suspect someone is slowly poisoning you.
5. … you’re having coffee at a local shop when a man shoves a package into your hands, asks for your help and then runs.
6. … you could relive the same 24 hours over.
7. … you read your obituary in the newspaper.
8. … you discover your lover is a serial killer.
9. … you meet your alter ego and don’t like what you see.
10. … someone sends you a link to YouTube of a video of you in a place you didn’t mention to anyone.
Now, consider one or more of these prompts. Write an opening paragraph and see what it sparks.
About the author:
Marta Stephens writes crime mystery/suspense. Her books are available online at familiar shops such as all the Amazons, Barnes & Noble, Borders, Books-a-Million, and Powells. Other locations include, but are not limited to those listed on her website.
THE DEVIL CAN WAIT (2008), Bronze Medal Finalist, 2009 IPPY Awards, Top Ten, 2008 Preditors and Editors Reader Poll (mystery).
SILENCED CRY (2007) Honorable Mention, 2008 New York Book Festival, Top Ten, 2007 Preditors and Editors Reader Poll (mystery).
Personal site: www.martastephens-author.com
Character Blog: http://www.samharpercrimescene.blogspot.com