Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Happy Get a Grip Day!

As you probably know, April 1 is Sorry Charlie Day. On this day, we celebrate Charles Shultz, or possibly Charlie Chaplin, who famously said, "In the end, everything is a gag."

All right, maybe you're not familiar with this observance. Don't worry - you can celebrate St. Stupid's Day! Men, get out your neon orange bunny outfits; ladies, it's a fine day to participate in the Sock Exchange. St. Stupid, the patron saint of civilizations and parking meters, awaits your donations.

Still confused? Me, too...

In honor of one of the greatest poets to ever have graced us with his words:

OH HAVE YOU HEARD

Oh have you heard it's time for vaccinations?
I think someone put salt into your tea.
They're giving us eleven-month vacations.
And Florida has sunk into the sea.

Oh have you heard
The President has measles?
The principal has just
burned down the school.
Your hair is full of ants
and purple weasels--

APRIL FOOL!!

Shel Silverstein

3 comments:

Marta Stephens said...

SW, I love your spirit and sense of humor! Thanks for making me smile.

Kim Smith said...

I saw the st. stupid parade on television. I giggled too. Great day for being a clown!!

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Sonya, this was a wonderful piece! I thought all day about the types of April Fools jokes people play on each other - from the simply cruel to the hilarious. I prefer to keep them balanced. Don't give someone a heart attack (Hey, honey, Allison's on the roof!) or get their hopes up to be dashed later (We won the lottery!), but better to think up something clever. I heard a couple of cool ones on the classical radio station I listen to on the way to work. One involved the discovery of a new symphony by a composer in a local Starbucks under a pile of newspapers... it took me a minute to realize it was a joke, but when I heard the title, I chuckled. "The Wahoo Surprise Symphony." Now those are fun April Fools jokes!!!